Home

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Skinless Beef Longanisa (Beef Sausage)

I suddenly craved longanisa this morning so I checked the freezer if there is some meat there that I can use.  Here in Australia, sausages are quite famous and will always be included for barby (short for barbecue party).  They have a different taste from those longanisas that I am used to have in the Philippines.  Although, there was one time that my hubby was able to get me smoked bbq pork sausages which somehow has a similar taste to the garlic longanisa that I so loved still ours is still different.

I have made my first longanisa when I was in High School in Hagonoy in our Home Economic class.  I bought ground pork, salitre (saltpeter) and the sausage casing from the wet market in Hagonoy.  They were yummy and I remember bringing home some to share with my family. 

When I came to Australia, I believed I have made my own longanisa for 3 or 4 times already.  That means this is my 4th or 5th time.  This time I decided to use beef instead of pork.  I think, I did try beef before too and it was quite yummy and my hubby loved it.  I would add annatto for coloring this time though.  I don't use saltpeter because it was found to be carcinogenic.

Ingredients
500 g beef minced
2 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp juice of annato seeds
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure

 Mix the ingredients in small bowl.

Add in the mixture to the beef minced in a bigger bowl.  Mix well using hands.

Form a ball similar to the size of 2 golf balls.  Make a log out of this and make sure that meat stick together. 

Place the longanisa in a container in a single layer.  Put in the fridge for 12 hours or more for better taste.
Fry and serve with vinegar and fish sauce or with fresh tomatoes.

A comment or two will be appreciated...

2 comments:

  1. I love that you used beef instead.. Since some folks do not eat pork like myself, being an Adventist. Thanks for sharing 💕💕!

    ReplyDelete

It would be nice to hear from you!